Tuesday, April 10, 2012

1. Warmachine/Hordes beginner's tournament

Time for Warmachine! Fear Menoth!

So, we had a beginner's tournament at our club. Yes, it was almost a month ago, sue me. ;P

1. Warmachine/Hordes beginner's tournament: 15 Points, one list, death clock format

Protectorate of Menoth:
Grand Scrutator Severius +6
Reckoner 8
Hierophant 2
Exemplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts) 8
The Wrack (3 wracks)1
Vassal of Menoth 2


1. game: Evangelista Sie
List: Circle of Orboros: Kromac the Ravenous, Pureblood Warpwolf, Warpwolf Stalker
Mission: Gauntlet
First turn: her

She had first turn and ran forward, I buffed my stuff and kept my troops back a little to goad her to get even closer, but still be able to contest her zone. She took the bait and the stalker got shot first and is then mopped up by the bastions. Her pureblood does some damage to my reckoner, but it kept standing. Kromac was out of range to do any damage. Next turn her pureblood bit the dust, leaving only Kromac and not options to win, because Severius was out of her charge range. Kromac did some damage to the bastions killing two barely on his feat turn and then got hit by everything Menoth still had standing on my turn.
>> Assassination win, 1 CP


2. game: Johannes Fink
List: Circle of Orboros: Kaya the Moonhunter & Laris, Feral Warpwolf, Pureblood Warpwolf
Mission: Gauntlet
First turn: him

Circle... how I hate them. ;)
Well, I buff my troops and we then both ran to the middle to contest and he then hit my bastions using Kaya's feat. None die as usual. He then tried to throw my reckoner with vision and enliven on him and promtly smashed my vassal with it doing no damage to it.. Lastly he used Laris's animus to teleport Kaya to him.... and promptly lost the game. Yay for me for remembering there is a killbox! ;)

If he hadn't killed himself, well... Healing all bastions with the hierophant and then walk them up to him would have been an option. Or waiting for the clock to run out.
>> Assassination win, 0 CP.


3. game: Bernhard "Bernhard" Bornatowicz
List: Cygnar tier list: Captain Jeremiah Kraye, Hunter, Sentinel, Ironclad, Rangers
Mission: Gauntlet
First turn: him

I hate pursuit! Buffing up my own objective like he did would also have helped a little. ;)
Again I'm slow, they are fast, yay. So he ran his rangers and hunter forward a little and shields his objective with the rest. He put a marker on the objective with Kraye, his shots were all out of range. I casted my buff spells and ran the bastions to meet the rangers, the reckoner nearer to his objective and the vassal after him. I was in his range then so took some fire on the bastions and took a little damage. The vassal got hit by the hunter and took two damage points. My bastions then charged his rangers, killing some. The reckoner took a shot at the sentinel and took out the shield, I think. The bastions then get charged by the ironclad in turn and some died. The hunter again shot the vassal and did another two damage points, still leaving him alive. Kraye then put pursuit on my reckoner. Ironclad and the remaining rangers got killed on my turn, Kraye ran away to go after Severius, who had to move up to keep everything within eye of menoth. His hunter took a shot at my objective doing some damage and the vassal finally died by a shot from Kraye. The sentinel did nothing and got trashed on my turn. I then move Severius further away, wich was an error I suppose. Keeping him closer to the bastions would have brought Kraye into charge range of the bastions and the reckoner, but I decide to go after the objective. The rest of the game was me running away with Severius and him going after me with Kraye while everything else from me was out of range or failed to damage his objective. Before time ran out I decided to get to his objective to get some focus on the reckoner. On the way, Kraye recasted pursuit on my bastions and wrecked my objective and I tried to destroy the hunter with Severius, leaving me without focus, but with defenders ward in the open. Kraye got to move with pursuit (it turns out NOT moving still counts as a full advance in game terms) and got Severius in charge range. Well, that could have gone better. ;)
>> Assassination loss, 0 CP.


4. game: Stefan "Sir_Alex" Moser
List: Khador: Kommander Strakhov, Berserker, Decimator, Widowmakers, Manhunter
Mission: Gauntlet
First turn: me

I ran everything forward to get to the objectives and he moved up and took some shots but was out of range. I ran my bastions on the middle and right objective, he tried to claim the other with his widowmakers, but it disappeared on turn 2, so I got my bastions on the two remaining objectives. He charged the bastions with the berserker, but didn't do damage. So he feated with Strakhov and charged him in too. The bastions take some hits but all remain standing. Manhunter charged in too, still leaving them all standing. Decimator took some shots doing nothing. Well, hey there, warcaster without focus. I managed to miss Strakhov three times with Severius' death sentence and three weaponmaster hits on the charge still leave him standing. In the end, the reckoner got to club him.
>> Assassination win, 1 CP

Conclusion:
The list sure can take a hit and still wreck face afterwards, but it is slow. Getting outmaneuvered is a pain in the ass, but on this point level it's not that much of a problem. The list did function as expected, but on 15 points I will use a second vassal next time to get more flexibility out of the reckoner.

What I find interesting is, that scenarios are purely for show.
You run forward, keep the opponent from the objectives and then put the smack down on the enemy caster, ignoring everything else. So, third game was lost mainly because I didn't go for the caster right from the start and then could not keep up with Krayes mobility and pursuit.
Playing for scenario, while "easier" to achieve, also gets you less points in a tournament, because killing the caster also gets you the points for his battlegroup too and you need not kill anyone else.

Final result:
Second place after Bernhard's Cygnar.
I'm pretty pleased with that.
Also, I got a coin, yay! ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment